+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenkara

I got my minimalist Tenkara bag in the mail yesterday and kind of set up so I figured I had to christen it by hitting a local pond. All I can tell you is sunfish and Tenkara DEFINITELY mix!!

What a great way to kill an hour between customer visits!!

Tenkara and sunfish (including bass) go together like beer and pizza.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

if you go out for larger fish, be careful. i broke my Yamame at the base of the third segment trying to land a butter-fat 18" rainbow. probably my own clumsiness trying to get a hand on the line so i could get the net underneath (really need three hands for that!). anyhoo, got the fish, went home and went to the website and there was exactly what i needed to make repairs. guess that's not the first time someone has made that mistake! new top on order, and meanwhile it's back to the bamboo. oh well...
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Casey,

That's a very good point. When fishing with a fixed-length-line system, it's a "fixed system". There is no give. Apply enough pressure, and something is going to sooner or later fail. Ideally it's your tippet that fails. As tippet size and strength increase, at some point, something else will become the weakest link (i.e. your rod).

One might argue that when a fish breaks your rod, at least it provides a memory and a good story. That is probably the one downside to fishing a fixed-length-line system, there is a practical limit to the size of fish you can realistically expect to bring to hand.

Of course, when you break a rod trying to free yourself from a snag, that's not much of a memory or story. Particularly with a snag, there isn't much excuse to break a rod. It only takes a few seconds to collapse your rod, you can then grab your line and pull to one's heart's content. Once free, it only takes a few seconds to extend the rod, and you are back in business.

Fishing fixed-length-line systems is definitely a finesse affair. It's a different mind set than fishing a Shakespeare Ugly Stik.

Attachment 6262

As much as I'd like to dream, my life's experiences to date lead me to believe that the big fish issue isn't something I'll have to worry about too much.

I htink big fish are over rated. the smaller ones are better eating anyway.
    My mom says it's all physics. I say that's my problem.. Just look at my old report cards....

Quote Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
    Tenkara and sunfish (including bass) go together like beer and pizza.
    amen. fished my buddies farm pond yesterday and we took turns using my 12' iwana and a #10 black beadhead bugger. several nice slab side crappie and pugnacious bluegills later, my friend was a tenkara convert. and we each caught a healthy 16" bass to boot. first successful fishing day with the iwana and i was more than pleased. it even handled the bass with aplomb. last fish of the day i never saw, but it felt and fought like a catfish. took a nosedive under the dock and when i grabbed the line, the tippet gave. my buddy was online last night looking to get a fountainhead tenkara for himself.

Don't say I didn't warn you guys and gals, it's habit forming. Try it once or twice and you'll be hooked.

When fixed-length-line fly fishing was first being discussed in the U.S. a few seasons back, some said "It's not really fly fishing, it's just fishing with a cane pole." I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion. What is interesting, many of the most dedicated practitioners are long time fly fishers. While it's easy for new fishers to get started, even the old pros find it entertaining and just plain fun.
    Last edited by pszy22; 10-26-2010 at 02:43 PM.

I'm hooked!

I went out for the third time this weekend and ended up fishing all three days with my Tenkara rod despite having a 4wt bamboo rod in the trunk. I caught LOTS of wild trout on a small meadow stream and happily discovered the collapsed Tenkara rod was a lot easier to manage when I had to crawl under the electric cattle fence a few times!

As far as it "not being fly fishing"; anything I can do to rub a few fly fishing snobs the wrong way makes Tenkara even more enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    I'm hooked!

As far as it "not being fly fishing"; anything I can do to rub a few fly fishing snobs the wrong way makes Tenkara even more enjoyable
    Then just use a cane pole and worms. You guys crack me up.

I'm far from a fly fishing snob, and I'm fortunate(?) to have learned Tenkara style fishing in Japan.

The fact is, if it didn't have some exotic sounding name, 90% of the current disciples would have turned up their (snob) noses and kept on casting their $1000 rods with reels containing drags capable of stopping a truck, for ten-inch trout. Any barefoot, dirt-poor country kid can tell you how effective "Fixed Line" fishing is.

Tenkara is certainly a refreshing change from the techno-bullsh*t magazine style fly fishing kit we are made to believe is mandatory.

Please don't think I'm knocking the method, but I do giggle a lot at how many people seem to be getting their loins all in a flutter about it.

+ Reply to Thread