Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
A local guide I know builds rods, and he asked the chief designer at one of the major rod companies "why snakes guides". This was his exact response:
Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
Snake guides are traditional
Nothing more, nothing less
I think that response is begging the question. It adds nothing and says nothing. It is an answer that avoids giving an answer. So I take issue with that designer's response.

Bamboo was tradition but it was replaced by fiberglass and fiberglass by graphite. Ferrules were fitted metal but now are tip over butt integrated graphite. Silk lines were tradition but they were replaced by plastic. Horse hair for leader material was tradition but it was replaced by nylon and fluorocarbon. Old reels were pressed metal, than cast, and now bar stock machined. Drags were click pawl, then pressed cork, and now deldrin. Don't even get me started on waders and rainwear.

Rod companies spend thousands of dollars on finding the best materials and methods for fly rod design and production. To think they would ignore guides because of tradition is ridiculous.

If tradition were important there would be no market for Thingamabobbers. If tradition were the reason for snake guides, why are they currently wound with nylon and covered with epoxy rather than silk and shellac?

Why have all the above changed and snake guides not? The reason is that snake guides are the lightest functional guides for fly rods. How much longer would it have taken to say that rather than to defer to tradition?